If you have been searching for businesses over the course of the last couple of months, you may have noticed some additional features within Google business listings that weren't there before. Google posts - posts that appear within the Google business listing (which appears to the right of search results) - are now an option for most business owners.
Unlike Google + posts, these posts do not appear in the list of search results, only in your Google business listing. They can be a great option if you want to feature a special offer, showcase a new product, or highlight other information for current and prospective customers.
Adding a Business Post for Your Google Business Listing
If you are interested in using this opportunity to promote your business, here is how to do it.
1. Sign into your Google account and click on the My Business icon to access your verified Google Business listing. Click here if you need to create or claim your Google Business listing.
2. Under Location, click Manage Location within your business listing.
3. From your Google My Business dashboard, click on Posts in the left hand column.
4. Click on the Write Your Post box at the top. From here you will be able to:
- Add an eye-catching image (recommended 750×750 pixels for image size).
- Write a 100-300 word post (first 100 words will show up in the post, so put your most important information there).
- Make the post an event if appropriate.
- Add a call-to-action button to link the post to your website or other location.
5. Once finished, click the Preview button in the top right corner, then click Publish in the top right of the preview box.
Once you have published your post, it will appear in your Google business listing for one week before disappearing. You can have more than one post going at a time, however viewers will only see the two-and-a-half most recent posts.
Because these posts don't get indexed by Google, they do not replace your Google + posts. This is just another effective (and free) way to get noticed and is well worth the couple of minutes it takes! For more details on these new posts, check out this article by Search Engine Land.